SIM Card Registration


Q: What is the law requiring SIM card registration?
A: The enabling law is The Regulation of Interception of Communications Act 2010 which provides for registration of existing SIM cards.

Q: When must I register?
A: With effect from 1st March 2012 onwards, all new and existing mobile phone numbers will have to be registered to be activated on a mobile network in Uganda. The cutoff date or deadline for SIM card registration for existing mobile subscribers is 1st March 2013.

Q: What is SIM card Registration?
A: The ACRONYM "SIM¡± means Subscriber Identity Module.
SIM card registration is the process of recording and verifying mobile phone number/s and personal information of a subscriber, by a communications service provider. Such information includes the subscriber¡¯s photograph, name, and date of birth, gender, address (postal and/or physical address), email address, if available, and details of valid identification documents of the subscriber. The process involves getting both new and existing phone subscribers to consensually provide their identification details to the network operators.

Q: Why must we register our numbers?
A: SIM card registration is intended to:
1)    Help law enforcement agencies to identify the mobile phone SIM card owners
2)    Track criminals who use phones for illegal activities.
3)    Curb other negative incidents such as; loss of phone through theft, nuisance/hate text messages, fraud, threats and inciting violence.
4)    Help service providers (network operators) know their customers better.

Q: What information and documentation do I need to register?
A: For Ugandan nationals, you will need EITHER of the following in original form:
a)    Passport size photograph,
b)Valid Passport,
C) Valid Employee ID,
d) Student ID from an accredited educational institution,
e) Voter¡¯s card,
f) Valid Driver¡¯s license
g) Original official Local Council letter bearing the registrant¡¯s photograph, confirming the identity and physical address details of the registrant. The letter must be on an official letterhead and have the stamp of the Local Council office.
h) Original letter from a current employer bearing the registrant¡¯s photograph confirming identity, place or work and residence. The letter must be on official letterhead or have the stamp of the employer or else accompanied by copy of the employer¡¯s identification particulars

The service providers may ask for more information if they deem it necessary.
For foreigners, EITHER of the following in original form:
a)Passport size photograph,
b)Valid Work Permit Identification Card,
c) Valid Passport,
d) Valid National Identity Card issued by parent country,
e) Valid driver¡¯s License,
f) Any of the above with a residential address in Uganda.

Q: Will my information be kept safe?
A: All information will be kept confidential by the telecom operators in a secure data base. The information collected shall NOT be disclosed to any person unless as required by any written law.

Q: Which Mobile phone numbers must be registered?
A: All prepaid and postpaid phone numbers and data SIM cards must be registered.

Q:    Can I register multiple cards?
A:    Yes. If you own multiple cards, you can register all with their respective telecom operators.

Q:    Where do I go to register?
A:    Registration will take place at all telecom operators¡¯ customer care centers or any designated registration place set up by the operators. Telecom operators will provide more information on their respective registration centers. Watch the press!!

Q:    How much will it cost me to register?
A; SIM card registration is absolutely free of charge.

Q: When must I register?
A: With effect from 1st March 2012 onwards, all new and existing mobile phone numbers will have to be registered to be activated on a mobile network in Uganda. The cutoff date or deadline for SIM card registration for existing mobile subscribers is 1st March 2013.

Q: What will happen if I have not registered by the set deadline of March 2013?
A: Failure to register is a breach of the law and the service provider shall not provide any communication service to a person who fails or refuses to register. Your SIM card shall be deactivated and you will not be able to make or receive calls

Q: How will I be sure that my number is registered? 
A: Some Mobile Network Operators will send text messages and others issue receipts of registration. To be on the safest side, you may check from your network operator to verify your registration.

Q: If I use a modem for my internet. Does it also need to be registered?
A: Yes. It has to be registered.

Q: Can someone register for me?
A: In case you cannot do the registration, someone else can register the SIM card in his/her name but the person will be responsible for your number.

Q: What will happen to vendors of SIM cards, will this exercise put them out of business?
A: No. They will continue selling non-activated SIM cards and anyone who purchases a SIM card from them will have to register the SIM before it can be used to make or receive calls.

Q: How will the socially disadvantaged, physically challenged, elderly and minors be registered?
a)    The disadvantaged people will be registered by proxy, as arranged by their mobile operators.
b)    A minor shall need to be accompanied by an adult who has the relevant identification documents to purchase and register as the subscriber/owner of the SIM card. The minor will be registered as the user of SIM card and once the minor attains the age of 18, the adult under whose name the SIM card is registered, will be at liberty to change the registration to be in the name of the young adult.

Q: Will Corporate Organizations be allowed to register?
A: Corporate Users will be registered upon presentation of a letter duly signed by recognized authority and written on the Organization¡¯s letter head. Other verification documents that will be required include; a) Certified copy of certificate of incorporation, b) Certified copy of certificate of Registration, c) Enabling legislation or Gazette notice.
For further information contact: Toll free: 0800133911, Website:

Q: What if I am already registered on Mobile money ie  M-sente, MTN-Mobile money or Airtel- Money
A: If you are already registered as a mobile money user, you will not need to register again. It would be advisable to verify your details with your service provider.
Q: Does the information collected during registration suffice for all service provided by the service provider?
A: Not necessarily. The service provider may where necessary ask you for additional information or requirements for subscription for a particular service or product.

Q: What do I do if there is change in the information provided at registration?
A: You should inform our service provider of the changes in the information. The service provider may conduct further verification to ascertain the true identity of the subscriber registered.

Q: Do I have to register my mobile fixed line too?
A: Yes, you have to register the mobile fixed line since it has a SIM card in it.